Search This Blog

Friday, November 25, 2011

Siri vs. Tellme

Techau.tv, an Australian technology website, did a very lovely comparison of Apple's Siri and Microsoft's Tellme, which put the voice-operation capabilities of representative competing smart phones to the test. This comparison is following a claim of Microsoft’s Craig Mundie (Chief Research and Strategy Officer) that Microsoft had similar capabilities in Windows Phone for more than a year. Viewing the video comparison  you are left with two possible conclusions-

  1. Microsoft's voice recognition technology still sucks. 
  2. Someone made an unfair comparison, and used a well-trained iPhone with an untrained Windows 7 phone. 
As I've been playing around with Windows 7 voice operation capabilities for a while (on a desktop), I suspect that both explanations are true. I've seen better performance from Windows than displayed in this comparison, and therefore I suspect there is a deep difference in the training level of both smart phones (training=letting the voice recognition system study your speech patterns). But I have seen it making some wonderful blunders, even after some training hours invested.... I can't say that Siri answered all the fantasies I've been developing hearing the hype around Apple's new development, but one has to admit that at least on this Video, it sure looked as one sexy technological advancement.  If I were in Microsoft's shoes, I'd be working harder than trying to sell Siri as a marketing mirage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment