Search This Blog

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Microsoft mstsc (remote desktop connection) on windows 10 won't connect to a remote virtualbox machine

An old power supplier, maybe the most common end-of-the-line malfunction for personal computers, has brought the need for strategic planning of the house grid of computers... as one could expect, that type of supplier is hard to get nowadays (it was a 7 year old PC), and certain planned changes and related exertions meant that it would not be the wisest thing to buy a replacement at the moment. 

This was the prologue that made my computer become my wife's, and at the same time remain the house's main server, running all sorts of virtual machines. I was forced to move to my laptop, and was surprised to discover that the remote desktop connection of windows 10 just would not connect to any of my virtualbox machines.... 

It tooks some digging before I got to this virtualbox tickect about this issue, and learned that Microsoft made a certain change in the client, and the virtualbox VRDP server was too strict in his checks. 

Upgrading virtualbox and virtual box extensions pack from 4.3.26 to 4.3.34 did the trick.

Which is good, one would say, unless one was getting tired of windows 10 and a great excuse to dump it was just eradicated by this solution... 

[update, 9/5/2016: I had some other problems with .34, and found myself downgrading my virtualbox back to .26 a few months ago. As this happened together with my spontaneous move to mint as my primary workstation, I did not discover until today that mstsc on windows 10 is now capable of connecting to a remote virtualbox machine. Considering circumstances, the only logical conclusion is that Microsoft corrected its end - but I'm only guessing. What I am not guessing is that all of a sudden I can work on Windows 10 and connect to remote virtualbox machines ! ]

No comments:

Post a Comment