Search This Blog

Sunday, May 20, 2018

Kindle Device Howto: What is my IP address?

Sometimes you look for donkeys and you find a monarchy instead. 

Doing a short network survey of my home network (which is surprisingly large, as all home networks are these days), I found myself looking for a way to verify that an unidentified device was indeed my Kindle PaperWhite. How can you see the IP Address of your kindle device ? 

A rather short search (but not as short as one would have expected) brought me to the MobileRead KindleTouch Hacking # Search Bar Shortcuts and was that a happy discovery or what? 

Now, I've naturally known that all Kindle devices are Linux-based smart-gadgets, of the pervasive computing class, but theoretically knowing that is one thing, and finding the keys for a comfortable and leisurely path to discoveries is an entirely different matter. 

Putting aside that discovery of how to get into the depths of one's kindle for a while, the mere hidden functionality that is accessible through the "Search Bar Shortcuts", is a goldmine in itself. 

But putting that trove aside, the search in question is answered easily: 
Click the Search Icon, and then enter the following 4 characters to get your WiFi information (don't miss the semi-colon): 
;711  
And you shall find what you have sought. 


No comments:

Post a Comment