Search This Blog

Sunday, October 17, 2021

How to uninstall "Microsoft Your Phone" App ?

Well, it can happen to anyone. A friend of mine mislead me about "Microsoft Your Phone", the app that lets you connect smartphones to windows and operate some of their functionality. He thought that it can be used with any smartphone, to operate every aspect of the smartphone, with a stress on the ability to run any smartphone app directly from your computer, using YourPhone App. 

Turns out it works like that only with his brand of smartphone - Samsung, but with mine (which shall be kept anonymous for miscellaneous reasons) "your phone" only supports basic functionality - messages, calls, notifications and file transfer. 

My need was the ability to centrally use all communication apps in one spot. And being unable to control all messaging apps, made MsYourPhone rather pointless in my mind, especially considering that vast amount of permissions I had to provide it, and my basic suspicion in anyone asking so much intrusion into my phone (and yes, I am well aware that both Google and the phone's manufacturer have such a potential intrusion into my life. that is the price I am forced to pay if I wish to use a smart phone). 

All of this introduction was told to explain how and why I found myself with the wish of uninstalling Your Phone. 

But lo and behold ! 

Like a villain from a movie, the did not lend itself to being uninstalled ! 

The uninstall button was greyed out ! 

Terminating the app, making sure it did not run in the background - nothing helped ! 

Screen Capture of Your Phone App settings showing uninstall option greyed out
But with the internet at out fingertips, there is always the chance that someone else has already tackled this. And indeed - A quick search brought me to a good explanation how to uninstall Your Phone from Windows using Powershell as a management tool.  

The following command  (used in powershell run as admin) - 

get-appxpackage *yourphone* -allusers|remove-appxpackage

did the trick.  

Farewell, Microsoft Your Phone. 

Now, all that remains is finding that central solution (: 


Further reading





No comments:

Post a Comment